IMA Over View
The Institute of Management Accountants is dedicated to excellence within the management accounting profession. The Certified Management Accountant (CMA) designation was developed in 1972 to provide an objective measure of an individual’s knowledge and competence in the field of management accounting. Only the CMA program recognizes the unique proficiency required for success in this challenging profession.
The CMA (Certified Management Accountant) is the advanced professional certification specifically designed to measure the accounting and financial management skills that drive business performance. The CMA is tailor-made for accounting and finance professionals at all levels, whether you want to enhance your value to your current organization or expand your career potential. Earning the CMA will make you part of a network of over 30,000 credentialed peers worldwide. The CMA program has been designed to meet the evolving needs of business – today and tomorrow. We look forward to helping you achieve excellence as a professional. Certification will confirm your proficiency in your chosen field and your dedication to personal and professional growth.
Becoming a CMA
Having CMA certification shows not only a high level of competence in management accounting, but also a Strong commitment to continuous improvement and high ethical standards. Many leading international companies consider the CMA certification as the ultimate mark of excellence. The CMA certification leads to faster career advancement. Salary surveys have shown that a certified professional will earn nearly $500,000 more than a non-certified professional over the course of a career.
- No other accounting or finance credential lends itself more directly to today's complex and changing business environment.
- You will confirm substantial knowledge of accounting, finance and important related fields and demonstrate the ability to integrate this information into the business decision process.
- You will distinguish yourself as a business professional that is committed to a strict code of ethics.
- You will demonstrate your commitment to personal professional development and lifelong learning.
Businesses around the world rely on CMAs for accounting, finance and information management and most importantly, for the strategic planning and business solutions provided by these qualified Professionals. Companies such as 3M, Boeing, DaimlerChrysler, DuPont, Hewlett-Packard, IBM, Johnson & Johnson, Milliken, Caterpillar and Procter & Gamble.
The CMA Learning System package includes IMA's official Learning System textbooks (print or ebook) and industry-leading Online Test Bank.
This package is fully updated to cover 100% of the most current Learning Outcome Statements published by ICMA.
Access to the Online Test Bank is provided for 1 year with one-part purchases, or 2 years with two-part purchases
- 100% Coverage of ICMA LOS
- Official IMA Learning System textbook, featuring 100% of the ICMA Learning Outcome Statements (print or ebook)
- Online Test Bank with an additional 2,600+ exam questions and 10 essays
Candidates for CMA certification must complete two examination parts:
Part 1: Financial Planning, Performance and Control (4 hours – 100 multiple- choice questions and two 30-minute essay questions)
Part 2: Financial Decision making (4 hours – 100 multiple-choice questions and two 30-minute essay questions)
- 3 hours to complete the multiple choice section and 1 hour to complete the essays.
- Essays will be presented after you have completed the multiple choice section of the exam or after 3 hours, whichever comes first
- Once you complete and exit the multiple choice section of the exam, you cannot go back. You must remain in the essay section to complete the exam.
Note: You MUST answer at least 50% of the multiple-choice questions correctly to be eligible to take the essay section.
- You will not receive immediate pass/fail results because the essay questions will be graded offline.
- The scores for the multiple choice section will be added to the scores of the essay section for a total weighted score of pass/fail reflected in a scaled score for the entire part.
- Candidates are not required to “pass” both sections; the total score determines pass/fail status.
- The scores will be mailed approximately 6 weeks after the close of the testing window.
- You will receive feedback on your score only for the multiple choice section of the exam for those who did not pass the exam.
Please NOTE: You cannot take an exam part more than one time during a testing Window.
Professional Member Fees
- Certification Entrance Fee – $250 (Non Refundable)
- Exam Fee (Per Part) – $415
Student/ Academic Member Fees
- Certification Entrance Fee – $188 (Non Refundable)
- Exam Fee (Per Part) – $311
*IMA membership is additional and also required.
** Course Fee additional. Contact us for attractive offers.
The CMA examination is given in a computer-based format. The exams are offered at an extensive network of Prometric Testing Centers located throughout the WORLD. Exam centers are available according to local customs.
An up-to-date listing of all Prometric Testing Centers can be found at Prometric’s website www.prometric.com/ICMA
Parts 1 and 2 will be given during the following three testing window periods:
January and February
May and June
September and October
- If a candidate registers to test during a specific testing window and fails to take the exam, the candidate must register again and pay the FULL registration fee.
- You should file the registration form approximately six weeks before you wish to take an exam as this will allow sufficient time for you to receive your authorization letter and schedule a convenient appointment at a Prometric Testing Center.
- Registration for Parts 1 and 2 received on or after February 16th, June 16th, or October 16th will be authorized for the next testing window; registrations received prior to these dates will be authorized for the current testing window.